When you enter Canada, our customs and immigration service will issue you a Work Permit and determine whether your documentation is in order.

What is a Work Permit?

A work permit is a document issued by Citizenship and lmmigration Canada (ClC) that allows an individual who is not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident to legally work in Canada.

You will apply for your work permit at the border crossing.

Click here for a checklist of what you will need to obtain your work permit.

The Canada Border Services Agency has the final say on who may enter the country The Border Services Officer must be satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your employment.


  • You must have sufficient money to maintain yourself in Canada (minimum of C$155.00). Some crossings have cash machines.
  • You must be law-abiding and have a record free of criminal activity, or be considered to have been rehabilitated. Drunk driving is a criminal offense in Canada.
  • You must not be considered a risk to the security of Canada.
  • You must be in good health.
  • You must produce any additional documents the border officer requests to establish your admissibility.